When Life Gives You Lemons

Trying to make the most out of infertility, and life in general. This is my journey to conceive, after a miscarriage and D&C that left me with Asherman's Syndrome.

Friday, November 03, 2006

6w3d – and we have a heartbeat

Just came back from my latest RE appointment. We were able to see some activity. We saw a flutter of a heartbeat, and my RE said it was beating at about 120-130 beats. I’m so excited. I’m still too nervous to get my hopes up, but at least I’m assured that at this point I’m having what seems to be a normal pregnancy.

I asked about complications of a pregnancy in an Asherman’s Syndrome patient. My RE said I am certainly at risk for all sorts of placenta problems, (accreta, previa, increta) but that I have plenty of time before I need to worry about those issues. We also discussed my possibly needing a cerclage, to avoid incompetent cervix. He said that in my case, he thought it’s best to air on the side of caution, and that putting in a cerclage at 13+ weeks would be in my best interests. With a D&C, hysteroscopy, and cervical dilation all performed on me in under a year, it is possible and likely that my cervix might start to dilate and I would run the risk of losing the pregnancy. He said that usually OB’s don’t put in a cerclage until a patient has been known to have a second trimester loss, but why wait if the risks of a cerclage are minimal. I agree with him, and hope to discuss this with my OB when I meet with her. I’m still waiting for my blood work to come back, and I was told I’d be seeing the RE once more next Friday, and then I get discharged to my OB for future follow ups. Woo hoo. I also asked at what point can I start to feel relieved that things are ok and he said now would be good. So I’m letting myself enjoy this moment.

As for symptoms, I’ve had none. I know I should feel lucky, but really I want nothing more that morning sickness, or afternoon/evening, all day. I’m not even tired. I feel totally fine, with the exception of my boobs feeling slightly bigger. They’re not sore, just have more volume. I’m breathing a sigh of relief today.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger BigP's Heather said…

    YAY!!! Congratulations! So AWESOME!

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :-)
    Happy, happy Friday!

    JT

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Thalia said…

    Great news Ella, congratulations!

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    yay!

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats,

    what wonderful, reassuring news!!

    :-)

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Kris said…

    Oh my! Where have I been?! Congratulations!

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is wonderful news! I don't know anything about cerclages (other than what they are), but it sounds like your dr is being really proactive and that's always a comfort.

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on the heartbeat!

     
  • At 6:08 AM, Blogger soralis said…

    That is wonderful news! Wishing you an uneventful 9 or so months.

    Take care

     

Post a Comment

<< Home